Seniors Christmas Concerts set for wider audienceUpdated 04 October 2013
Minister for Ageing and Disability Services, John Ajaka, today announced details of the popular Seniors Christmas Concerts which for the first time will be held in some of the state’s biggest regions.
Mr Ajaka said the concerts will be staged in Nowra, Newcastle, Tamworth and Penrith in November and December.
“This year, the NSW Government is moving concerts from inner Sydney to regional areas and western Sydney for the first time, giving seniors across the State the opportunity to enjoy these popular events” Mr Ajaka said.
“We want to ensure as many people as possible across the state can take part in these events so two concerts will be held in each location.”
The concerts will kick off at the Joan Sutherland Performing Arts Centre in Penrith, with performances at 10.30am and 2.30pm on Tuesday 26 November 2013.
The concerts will then tour to the Shoalhaven Entertainment Centre (Nowra) at 12.00pm and 3.00pm on Thursday 28 November, the Newcastle Civic Theatre at 12.00pm and 3.00pm at on Monday 2 December and the Tamworth Capitol Theatre at 10.30am and 2.30pm on Thursday 5 December.
Tickets will be available via local box office sales only on Monday 21 October (Penrith), Tuesday 22 October (Shoalhaven), Wednesday 23 October (Newcastle) and Friday 25 October (Tamworth).
“We are looking forward to presenting this year’s concerts, themed ‘A Country Christmas’ Mr Ajaka said.
“The concert tour will very appropriately conclude in Tamworth, the home of Australian country music.”
The 2014 Seniors Week concerts at the Sydney Entertainment Centre will expand from three concerts to five concerts, allowing up to 50,000 seniors to attend these concerts in March 2014.
Ticketing Information – 2013 Seniors Christmas Concerts
- All concerts will be free to NSW Seniors, aged 60 years or over
- There will be a maximum of four tickets per person
- Further information is available on the NSW Seniors Week website and on the Concerts Information Line 1300 855 501.
- Tuesday 26 November 2013. Shows at 10.30am and 2.30pm
- Joan Sutherland Performing Arts Centre, Penrith
- Tickets available at the box office from 10.00am on Monday 21 October.
- Thursday 28 November 2013. Shows at 12.00pm and 3.00pm
- Shoalhaven Entertainment Centre
- Tickets available at the box office from 10.00am on Tuesday 22 October.
- Monday 2 December 2013. Shows at 12.00pm and 3.00pm
- Newcastle Civic Theatre
- Tickets available at the box office from 10.00am on Wednesday 23 October.
- Thursday 5 December 2013. Shows at 10.30am and 2.30pm
- Tamworth Capitol Theatre
- Tickets available at the Capitol Theatre box office and the Tamworth Visitors Information Centre from 10.00am on Friday 25 October.
Note re 2014 Seniors Week Concerts
- 2014 Seniors Week Concerts will be held at the Sydney Entertainment Centre on Tuesday 18 March, Wednesday 19 March and Thursday 20 March 2014.
- The ticketing agent for these concerts is not confirmed, as the Sydney Entertainment Centre is changing ticketing providers in December 2013. Details of Seniors Week Concert ticketing information is expected to be announced by late December 2013.
- It is anticipated that tickets to the Seniors Week concerts will be available in early February 2014, similar to the ticketing schedule from previous years.
- All concerts will be free to NSW Seniors, aged 60 years or over.
2014 NSW Seniors Week Grants program now closedUpdated 06 September 2013
Applications for 2014 NSW Seniors Week Grants closed on 6 September 2013. Successful applicants will be notified in December 2013.
Seniors concerts to be shared across NSWUpdated 13 August 2013
Deputy Premier Andrew Stoner and Minister for Ageing John Ajaka today announced changes to the free annual Gala Concerts for Seniors to ensure more people could attend across NSW, including regional communities.
“Each year, the NSW Government presents free concerts for residents aged 60 years or older, to thank them for their ongoing contributions to family and the community,” Mr Ajaka said.
“For the first time the Government will stage the annual Christmas concerts in regional NSW and outer metropolitan Sydney, giving seniors across the State the opportunity to enjoy these popular events.
“We will also be extending the concert series in Sydney during NSW Seniors Week so that more people have the chance to attend.”
The 2014 Seniors Week concerts at the Sydney Entertainment Centre will expand from three concerts to five concerts, allowing a total capacity of 50,000 seats while a regional community Christmas concert will tour to multiple locations.
The theme of the 2013 Christmas concerts will be ‘A Country Christmas’. The concerts will be held in November and December, touring Nowra, Penrith and Newcastle and concluding in Tamworth, the home of Australian country music.
Deputy Premier Andrew Stoner said the NSW Government was determined to support the economy and cultural life of the State’s regions.
“The expansion of the Seniors Week concert series and the new regional concert tour allows more seniors to attend one of the concerts each year,” Mr Stoner said.
“The Government will continue to produce a Christmas Concerts DVD, which this year will be filmed at the Tamworth Christmas concerts.”
The locations of the regional tour will change each year, providing seniors in different NSW communities the chance to attend. This regional tour will replace Christmas concerts that have been staged in the Sydney CBD in past years.
Further information is available on the NSW Seniors Week website and on 1300 855 501 as ticketing details are announced.
Background Information – Seniors Concerts 2013-2014
Seniors Week Concerts
- The Premier’s Gala Concerts presented during NSW Seniors Week will be expanded from three concerts to five concerts. A total of 50,000 seats will be offered.
- The Premier’s Seniors Week Concerts will be held at the Sydney Entertainment Centre in March 2014, which will continue to be in operation until at least December 2015.
- Tickets to the Seniors Week concerts will be available in early February 2014. Information on obtaining tickets to these concerts will be available by December 2013. Tickets will be free for NSW seniors.
- Christmas Concerts will no longer be presented in the Sydney CBD. Instead eight Christmas concerts will be presented in four locations – Nowra, Penrith, Newcastle and Tamworth.
- A Christmas Concerts DVD will continue to be produced, for the benefit of nursing home and aged care centre residents and other seniors across NSW who are unable to attend the concerts.
- In celebration of the new Christmas Concerts, the theme in 2013 will be “A Country Christmas”. The concert tour will conclude in Tamworth, the home of Australian country music.
- The Christmas Concerts will occur in late November and early December 2013. Venue and ticketing information will be announced in September 2013, with tickets available in October 2013. Tickets will be free for NSW seniors.
2014 NSW Seniors Week dates confirmedUpdated 07 August 2013
2014 NSW Seniors Week will be held between Saturday 15 March - Sunday 23 March 2014.
2014 NSW Seniors Week Grants program now openUpdated 07 August 2013
Grants are allocated to volunteer, local government and community organisations that plan to hold events during 2014 NSW Seniors Week.
Comedy debate: Is technology ruining our lives?Updated 18 March 2013
Event web registrations
Registrations will open in October 2013 for event organisers wanting to promote their 2014 NSW Seniors Week event on our website. To register, go to our submit your event page.